Compelling advertising copy is crucial to making an advert work. An image/layout that attracts the eye is great, but if your copy fails to tell your sales story and get your USPs across, you’re wasting your time and money.
I found the above advertisement in a magazine recently and I felt so disappointed for the brand owner. They had paid (probably substantially) to place this advert in one of the UK’s biggest selling women’s magazines, Cosmopolitan, and the advertising copy really failed to do the product justice.
- Use an alluring headline that makes people want to read on.
- Play on the reader’s emotions by pointing out a typical problem or pain point.
- Focus on product benefits, rather than features.
- Use the product features to offer a solution to the reader’s pain or problem.
- Most people are scanners, so use colours and formatting to highlight the key product benefits
- Use a call-to-action encouraging readers to connect (e.g. sign-up, follow us, visit our website for details)
- Add an incentive for doing so, such as a coupon, discount or free giveaway.
- Create a sense of urgency with an expiration date.
With all of that in mind, I think the following would be a more convincing advert for this brand:
(note – I’ve added a fictitious brand name to help the flow of the copy):
Just breathe with LAILANI
Heavy skincare can stifle the skin, causing clogged pores and embarrassing shiny patches.
What if I said you could get glowing, youthful skin without the stuffy after-feel? It’s nature’s little secret.
LAILANI REGENERATING BALM from ANISA SKIN harnesses the power of nature to rejuvenate skin cells. Formulated with the highest quality active botanical extracts and cold-pressed natural oils, this silky balm melts instantly, leaving your skin dewy, soft and moisturised.
LAILANI’s lightweight formula contains no waxes or fillers so it won’t weigh you down, and its gender-neutral formula can be used on a variety of skin types.
Get an exclusive 10% off at http://www.anisaskin.com until 31/09/18 by quoting COSM123 at the checkout and follow us on IG/FB @anisaskin.
So, what do you think? Does my version sound better than the original? I think it does, but then again, I’m biased. Copywriters are trained to write copy for a variety of mediums. Hiring a professional, can make a difference and help you get a better return on your advertising investment.